In collaboration with our association partners, NARC worked to advance bipartisan legislation that provides sufficient resources for workforce investment while preserving local and regional authority on Workforce Investment Boards. The Senate passed the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) on June 25 and the House of Representatives acted on July 9 . WIOA is the first legislative reform in 15 years of the public workforce system. President Barack Obama signed WIOA into law on July 22, 2014. The legislation modernizes and improves existing federal workforce development programs, helps job seekers access employment, education, training, and support services to succeed in the labor market and matches employers with the skilled workers they need.
Click HERE for updated information from the U.S. Department of Labor concerning WIOA.
- National Skills Coalition letter to the Senate urging lawmakers to bring S 1356 to the floor.
- Side-by-side comparison of SKILLS Act (HR 803) and Workforce Investment Act (S 1356)
- Workforce Investment Act of 2013 Bill Text
- SKILLS Act (HR 803) Bill Summary – House Education and Workforce Committee Republican proposal, passed the committee on 3/5/2013, slated for consideration by the full House on 3/13/13
- Workforce Investment Act of 2013 Bill Summary – House Education and Workforce Committee Democratic proposal, no committee consideration
- NARC Letter to Congress on consideration of the SKILLS Act
- Template Letter for NARC Members to send to Congress on consideration of the SKILLS Act
- Coalition letter to Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee regarding the Senate Workforce Investment Act Reauthorization initiative
Supporting Knowledge and Investing in Lifelong Skills “SKILLS” Act, HR 803
- SKILLS Act, HR 803 Bill Text
- The SKILLS Act Homepage
- Bill Summary, HR 803
- Press Release, HR 803 Letters to Congress
- Letters to Congress fom industry stakeholders, HR 803
- CBO Estimate, HR 803
- Statement of Administration Policy, HR 803
Workforce Investment Act (WIA) of 2013, HR 798
Senate Health, Education and Labor Committee Resources
- Committee mark-up video of Workforce Investment Act of 2013 (S 1356)
- Section-by-section analysis of Workforce Investment Act of 2013
- Major changes from WIA 1998
- National Skills Coalition resource page for Workforce Investment Reauthorization
- National Skills Coalition side-by-side of current law, House and Senate legislation to reauthorize WIA
- Joint Letter by NACo, NLC, USCM, NAWB in opposition to SKILLS ACT
- Bill Analysis, HR 803, National Skills Coalition
- Program Consolidation Chart under HR 803, National Skills Coalition
- Statement on Reforming Job Training, Workforce Stakeholders Group
- National League of Cities blog series on the Workforce Investment Act:
March 22, 2013: What Has the Nation’s Workforce System Been Able to Achieve?
April 1, 2013: Why is the House of Representatives Seeking to Dismantle the Nation’s Workforce Development System?