U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
With environmental sustainability as a guiding principle, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) works to strengthen the Nation’s security by building and maintaining America’s infrastructure. They dredge America’s waterways to support the movement of critical commodities and provide recreation opportunities. They devise hurricane and storm damage reduction infrastructure to reduce the risk from disasters. They also protect and restore the environment in crucial areas such as the Everglades, the Louisiana coast and along many of the Nation’s waterways.
What is green infrastructure at USACE?
This agency does not specifically define green infrastructure, but uses it as a component of its strategies dealing with disaster mitigation, water and biodiversity and land conservation issues.
What USACE departments are involved in green infrastructure?
The Environment Office at USACE works to restore degraded ecosystems, construct sustainable facilities, regulate waterways, manage natural resources and clean up contaminated sites from past military activities. USACE works in partnership with other federal and state agencies, non-governmental organizations and academic institutions to find innovative solutions to sustainability, climate change, endangered species, environmental cleanup, ecosystem restoration and more.
Additional USACE green infrastructure resources:
- The USACE’s YouTube channel features several videos promoting and explaining the importance of designing sustainable communities using green infrastructure practices.
- The Ecosystem Restoration Gateway program focuses on restoring significant ecosystem function, structure, and dynamic processes that have been degraded.
- The Center for the Advancement of Sustainability Innovations strives to make USACE and the Department of Defense achieve more sustainable facilities and operations.
- USACE’s Sustainability webpage provides an overview of their sustainability policy and strategy, how sustainability links with the agency’s mission and provides links to their strategic sustainability performance plans.
- USACE partnered with the Department of Defense to create a Low Impact Development report, which provides planning, design, construction, sustainment, restoration, and modernization criteria for implementing low impact development strategies.