The National Association of Regional Councils is partnering with Mid-America Regional Council (MARC), Meister Consultants Group, Inc. (MCG), and Council of State Governments (CSG) on the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) SunShot Initiative Rooftop Solar Challenge (RSCII) grant as the “Solar Ready II” (SRII) team.
As part of the SunShot Initiative, RSCII incentivizes regional awardee teams to make it easier and cost-competitive for Americans to go solar. By streamlining permit processes, updating planning and zoning codes, improving standards for connecting solar power to the electric grid, and increasing access to financing, teams will clear a path for rapid expansion of solar energy and serve as models for other communities across the nation.
The SRII team, consisting of NARC, MARC, MCG, CSG, and nine regional planning councils (RPCs), will secure and oversee commitments from local governments to expand the proven techniques, best management practices (BMPs), training materials, and methods of the 2012 Solar Ready KC Initiative to a national scale. The RPCs will engage local stakeholders through training programs focused on the dissemination and implementation of demonstrated solar BMPs; facilitate national discussions amongst strategic state government representatives; determine public preference toward solar technology; and gauge public perception of potential market barriers. The final results of SRII will yield a reduction in solar market barriers, fewer soft costs, and a more streamlined and standardized process for multiple solar energy implementation options. Ultimately, SRII will provide new solar market access for ten million people across the U.S.
The regions participating in Solar Ready II include 13 diverse states and Washington, D.C. Click on each of the regions to learn more about their individual SRII projects, including BMPs, news updates, and regional scope.
Best Management Practices
The chart below illustrates the top SRII BMPs being implemented by the RPC’s participating local governments. Click HERE to see the complete list of BMPs!
These resources include more information about solar energy.
- U.S. DOE’s SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership: The U.S. DOE is working to increase the use and integration of solar energy technologies through outreach and technical assistance, to expand local and regional governments’ innovative efforts to accelerate local adoption of solar energy in their facilities and community-wide.
- Solar Energy Resource Center: A variety of solar resources provided by the U.S. DOE SunShot Initiative.
- NARC’s SunShot Solar Outreach Partnership: Information on SolarOps workshops, resources, tool kits, case studies, webinars, and podcasts.
- Utility Community Solar Handbook: Provides information and resources for working with utilities and developing community solar programs.
- APA’s Planning for Solar Energy Report: This report places the goal of supporting solar energy use within the context of the local planning system and its emphasis on guiding future community growth and change.
- Meister Consultants Group’s Solar and Glare Report: Provides information and resources about the glare produced by solar panels and the impact on airplane pilots.
- Solar-Supportive Plans and Development Regulations: APA’s new solar planing and zoning data search tool, which allows users to view, sort, and search APA’s catalog examples of planning-related documents from communities across the U.S.
Email Mia Colson or call 202.986.1032, x218
Email Taylor Markwith or call 202.986.1032, x226